“O give thanks to the LORD, for God is good; his steadfast love endures forever!” Psalm 118:1
Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ,
At a recent finance and stewardship meeting we began with a prayer of thanksgiving. For five minutes we named the joy that has been flowing through Asbury’s ministries so far this year. Highlights include:
- The enthusiasm of the Sunday school children and the new children that have been joining.
- New voices in the choir making a joyful noise each week.
- The Love Lunch that celebrated Mardi Gras, Valentine’s Day, and Chinese New Year.
- Bringing children and adults for Lenten dinner and conversation on Wednesdays.
- Singing new music in Lent composed by Claire Collins and Bob Collins.
- Audio recorded sermons available online.
- Hosting our neighbors who are homeless for two weeks and the volunteers from throughout the community who prepared meals.
- Youth group chili dinner at Jan Peek House.
- A full house at the interfaith Martin Luther King event hosted at Asbury.
- Nearly 20 people from the Croton community came to the Asbury front porch on Ash Wednesday for prayer and ashes.
God is at work through Asbury as we continue to faithfully show up and support the ministries of this community. Each Sunday in Lent you will receive a cutout of a sandal representing our journey with Jesus. On one side you are invited to write a prayer of thanks and on the other side a prayer of petition. The pathway prayers will be posted in the church so that we can be in prayer with each other.
May your Lenten season continue to be one of examination and gratitude.